Considering Future Broadband ( FBB ) ?

All discussions relating to Future Broadband.

Topic Author
Wamuran4512CH
JuniorGeek
JuniorGeek
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Location: Caboolture 4CAB POI FttN / Zürich GigETH DOCSIS 3.1
Mood:
Switzerland

Considering Future Broadband ( FBB ) ?

Post by Wamuran4512CH »

Example of CIS ( July 2020 ) attached as a guide only.
CIS-21-07-2020-Performance-NBN-FutureBroadband.pdf
(257.64 KiB) Downloaded 1916 times
FBB Discord invite link https://discord.gg/kDqCfAA:

Website: https://futurebroadband.com.au/about/ ( geoblocked to non-Australian IP addresses )

Their Network Status page

Mondays to Fridays ( only )
WST (West Coast) = 8AM – 5PM
AEST (East Coast) = 10AM – 7PM

Live-Chat: Yes

Ph: 08 6117 0600

Call-back via website: Yes
Customers with 24/7 Support arrangements have their own dedicated contact number. Calls are routed to the company phone and computer systems and will be answered by the first available engineer.
Boss: Jason Mikronis ( jason @ futurebroadband.com.au )

Rewards scheme - vouchers - discounts begin from month 2 onwards.

How it looks like from the portal:

Every Future Broadband customer is issued 20 referral vouchers, aka codes, in the online portal under the heading 'Vouchers'.
When a voucher is used on signup (on the confirmation page of the online application or verbally if ordering over the phone), both referrer and referee will get a discount of $35 plus 1000GB bonus data for their data bank if they are on a databank plan ( a unique feature if I might add ).

For the referee, the discount will come off their first invoice. For the referrer, the discount will come off their next invoice but only when the new user has actually connected, not when they used the code.

A referrer can only get discounts for vouchers used in the previous month up to the value of their invoice. Discounts do not roll over to the next month.

A referrer can either give away a specific voucher or they can use their voucher shortcode, which will automatically assign the next available voucher. When using the latter option, you need to be careful not to run out of vouchers. More vouchers can usually be obtained on request.

A prospective customer can easily get hold of a voucher (code) by contacting a current FBB customer or by using the shortcode listed in their profile.

Data Banking & Monthly Rollover (on applicable plans):

A Data Banking plan automatically rolls over any unused data into a ‘Data Bank’ for future months. If your service exceeds the included usage allowance in a month and you have data available in the bank, it will be withdrawn at the end of the month before being liable for excess usage. A maximum of 5,000 GB can be stored in the bank at any time. Usage cannot be redeemed for credit, transferred between services and expires when a service is cancelled or changed to a plan without data banking.

Data banking is an interesting feature and, for those interested, you can actually become a little creative and use it to your advantage. As you are allowed one free plan change per month, you could buy a higher plan for one month, bank the excess data, then drop back to the lower plan and use the data in your bank if required. Bear in mind that, if the plan change involves a speed change, say from 50/20 to 100/40 or vice versa, there will be a $25 charge.

On some plans, new customers get 2000GB of bonus data on signup. On top of that, if they used a referral code, they would get an additional 1000GB of bonus data. That means a total of 3000GB, a great start! Additionally, if the new customer refers someone else, they get another 1000GB of bonus data on top. As mentioned, the total you can accumulate in your data bank is 5000GB.

What happens when I use more than my quota for the month?

FBB does not shape your connection when you go over quota. Instead, they will charge you for excess usage as per the Critical Information Summary:

"Excess usage is billed at $10 per 250GB or part thereof. For example 50 GB excess = $10, 300GB excess = $20"

Of course, if you use the data banking feature as intended, you should never have to pay excess. Whenever you have data in your data bank, this will be used first when you use more than your quota.

If your data bank is empty or near empty and you think you are at risk of going over quota, the sensible thing to do is to purchase 1000GB at $15 for your data bank. You can do this via the online portal. That 1000GB will stay in your bank until needed. Buying data for your bank makes more sense than paying $10 or $20 for excess data that will expire at the end of the month.

Note, however, that based on the warning displayed when you select this option it can take up to 48 hours to be processed, so one needs to consider that if getting near the end of the month and the risk of going over.

Billing / payment matters - some info about billing/how to pay copied from the Critical Information Summary:

Paying for your service

• To pay for the service you must use Autopay with an Australian credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard or AMEX)

• Upon placing an order with us we will debit a deposit comprised of any setup charges, the first monthly fee, plus hardware you may have ordered.

• Monthly Invoices are generated on the 1st of each month and are auto-debited soon after. Your first invoice with us will include a pro-rata component reflecting the arrears since service activation to the end of the month.

• Customer invoices are made available to download once logged into the customer portal.

• For greater payment options please see our Enterprise-Lite NBN Bundles or Enterprise NBN.

From experience, invoices are detailed and accurate. The money usually comes out of the CC account on the 10th of the month, so about 10 days after getting the invoice. This gives enough time to check the invoice for accuracy. If any referral codes were used during the month, the voucher code(s) and discount(s) will be listed as well.

As mentioned above, all plans have a setup fee of $55. This can be partially offset by using a referral code. The referral code will give you a discount of $35, making the effective setup just $20. ( credit to ozimarco )

Technical details:

CPE Setup:

BYO: Yes

Upstream provider: TPG AAPT IP-Line ( SMB class )

WAN protocol / encapsulation

Static routeable IPv4 ( /30 i.e. 2 x usable public IPv4 )
( requires inputting of supplied IP address, subnet mask and gateway information as per Network Build )

For example, on a TP-Link VR1600v V2 modem router ( NBN FttN VDSL2 )

ImageImage

IPv6: Yes ( one time setup fee of $10 applies for a /56 or $20 for a /48 )
( to give you an idea:
/56 4,722,366,482,869,645,213,696 IP addresses and /48 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 IP addresses if for some reason ain't enough :mrgreen: )

IPv6 config ( as well as IPv4 ) with PfSense ( credit to Kesawi - Image ): accessible here in PDF

802.1Q VLAN ID Value ( where applicable ): Default is 100 ( but can be changed to any value one prefers )

Priority value = 0

802.1Q VID applicable for: NBN FttN, FttB, FttC, HFC. Not applicable / blank for NBN FttP, Fixed Wireless

NBN Plans ( website has more information including the continued availability of 100/40Mbps )

Provisioning lead-time ( TPG-AAPT ): up to 3 work days on average.

Unlimited: No but there's Data Banking

RSP email: No

VOIP: Yes - Maxotel ( SIP credentials supplied )

3rd party VOIP: Yes

DNS Resolvers: 203.8.183.1 ns1.aapt.com.au 192.189.54.19 ns2.aapt.com.au
Alternates: those from Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Reverse DNS / PTR with matching forwards: Custom reverse DNS matching is available at $30 per change based on the or your applicable Critical Information Summary for the Enterprise Lite plans.

What will work - proven / tested:

Netcomm NF17ACV
Netcomm NF18ACV
Netcomm NL1901ACV (built-in LTE SIM slot for failover)
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite (firmware v1.x and 2.x) (with failover to Netgear LB2120 LTE device )
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (with failover to Netgear LB2120 LTE device)
Asus RT-AC88U (stock and Merlin firmware) (with failover to Netgear LB2120 LTE device)
Asus RT-AC68U
Asus DSL-AC68U ( connect on LAN port 1 as WAN ) ( FYI – will work on VLAN 100 but not iiNet VLAN 2)
TP-Link Archer VR600 v2
TP-Link Archer VR1600v
MikroTik hAP ac² (with failover to USB LTE stick)
Ex-Telstra Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 2 (DJA0231) ( rooted to enable Ethernet/Static IP and VLAN100 )
PfSense and many more

All information is current at the time of publication and should not be relied upon. Prospective customers should always confirm with Future Broadband first prior to making any commitment of any sort.
Last edited by Wamuran4512CH on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 1469
These users thanked the author Wamuran4512CH for the post (total 4):
Dawn Thunder (Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:31 pm) • mce (Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 pm) • kesawi (Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 pm) • ozimarco (Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 am)
Rating: 80%
ImageImageImageImage
The NBN, like Paul Fletcher's diet, needs more fibre - Applied liberally

Tags:

Topic Author
Wamuran4512CH
JuniorGeek
JuniorGeek
Mood:
Switzerland

Re: Considering Future Broadband ( FBB ) ?

Post by Wamuran4512CH »

I have a client on the IP-Line via another reseller ( Easytel Sydney ) and this is their Sam Knows monthly report for Sep 2020 on 25/5Mbps FttN NSW ( with their 3 line Voice service ):

( Sam Knows v8 Whitebox FCC info: FCC info: https://fcc.io/2AGPP-SK-WB8V2 )

A very stable performance throughout ( POI is unprovisioned as it stands ).
Last edited by Wamuran4512CH on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 60
ImageImageImageImage

Topic Author
Wamuran4512CH
JuniorGeek
JuniorGeek
Mood:
Switzerland

Post by Wamuran4512CH »

In case anyone is wondering ( today = Sat 3rd October ):

word count: 9
ImageImageImageImage

ozimarco
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Mood:
Been thanked: 0
Australia

Post by ozimarco »

It didn't happen for me. Still waiting...
word count: 8
Future Broadband FTTP 50/20 - POI 6PEB (Bentley Depot) in WA

Wilson
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Australia

Post by Wilson »

Yea.. invoices were a little late but they have been late before. I can imagine its been a really busy month and lots of vouchers to process and make sure they are all applied to the accounts correctly. They will need to get some automation sorted given they only have a few staff and a growing customer base.
word count: 58

kesawi
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Australia

Post by kesawi »

Have noticed a few users having some difficulties in getting IPv6 working on their router and developed the following tips to configure IPv6 globally unique addresses for your network.

A key requirement for any router is that the configuration settings allow you to specific IPv6 addresses for the WAN interface and gateway, and that the router accepts a IPv6 prefix for the WAN that is different from the LAN IPv6 prefix. Some routers such as the FRITZ!Box 7490 and 7590 cannot work with the FBB IPv6 setup because they expect the LAN prefix to be in the same subnet as the WAN prefix.

Assuming you are given the following example settings by FBB:
  • WAN IP6 Address: 2001:db8:1000:10:0:0:0:2/126
  • WAN IP6 Gateway: 2001:db8:1000:10:0:0:0:1/126
  • LAN IP6 Network: 2001:db8:c9d4:3d/56 (56 bit prefix)
  • LAN IP6 Network: 2001:db8:c9d4/48 (48 bit prefix)
Then you should enter the following in your router's IPv6 WAN configuration:
  • WAN IPv6 Address/Prefix Length: 2001:db8:1000:10:0:0:0:2/126
  • WAN Default IPv6 Gateway: 2001:db8:1000:10:0:0:0:1/126
For the LAN interface, you will probably need to choose a 64 bit prefix length for your LAN rather than using a 48 or 56 bit prefix as most devices generally expect a 64 bit prefix on a LAN subnet. You will also need to assign an IPv6 address to the LAN interface. To create a 64 bit prefix add two digits to the end of your LAN prefix, and assign a number at the end of the prefix to represent the LAN address of the router. If you have a 48 bit prefix you can add 1-4 digits. For example with a 56-bit prefix add 01 to the prefix and with a 48-bit prefix add 1 to the prefix to create a 64 bit prefix. You would then add :0:0:0:1 to the 64-bit prefix to complete the address:
  • LAN IPv6 Address/Prefix Length 2001:db8:c9d4:3d01:0:0:0:1/64 (based on 56-bit prefix)
  • LAN IPv6 Address/Prefix Length 2001:db8:c9d4:1:0:0:0:1/64 (based on 48-bit prefix)
If you have multiple internal interfaces or VLANs such as a guest VLAN then increment the digits added to your prefix so that each internal interface or VLAN has a different 64 bit prefix. Continuing the example from above, change the prefix to 02 or 2 depending on your prefix length for a guest VLAN:
  • GUEST VLAN IPv6 Address/Prefix Length 2001:db8:c9d4:3d02:0:0:0:1/64 (based on 56-bit prefix)
  • GUEST VLAN IPv6 Address/Prefix Length 2001:db8:c9d4:2:0:0:0:1/64 (based on 48-bit prefix)
You may also be given an option to configure how devices on the LAN receive an IPv6 address. This is undertaken by a Router Announcement which your router would typically do. Options may be labelled things such as Auto Config, SLAAC, assisted, DHCP, etc.

I recommend using Auto Config / SLAAC initially as DHCP adds another potential service to troubleshoot. Once you successfully have IPv6 up and running you may then consider using DHCP, however Auto Config / SLAAC should be sufficient for most

I don’t believe FBB/AAPT has an upstream IPv6 DNS server, and you will therefore need to rely on an third party DNS server. Some routers may allow you to use the IPv4 DNS server configured in your router for IPv6 address resolution, however others may required you to specify an IPv6 address for WAN DNS.

There are several publicly available options:
  • Cloudflare DNS (have found this to be the fastest):
    • Primary DNS server: 2606:4700:4700:0:0:0:0:1111
    • Secondary DNS server 2606:4700:4700:0:0:0:0:1001
  • Google DNS (have found this to be the next fastest):
    • Primary DNS server: 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8888
    • Secondary DNS server 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8844
  • OpenDNS (have found this to be the slowest):
    • Primary DNS server: 2620:119:35:0:0:0:0:35
    • Secondary DNS server 2620:119:53:0:0:0:0:53
If your router requires you to specify a DNS for devices on your LAN interface then just insert the IPv6 address of the corresponding router interface (for example 2001:db8:c9d4:3d01:0:0:0:1). Most routers should announce the router’s interface as the local DNS address on the subnet.

When testing from a PC, if using windows, remember to add -6 after the ping command to force IPv6 if it still uses IPv4.

If IPv6 isn't working on your PC/device you can try setting a static IPv6 address on the PC/device’s network adaptor using the following settings based on the 56 bit prefix example above, which would need to be modified to suit your specific prefix assignments:
  • 2001:db8:c9d4:3d01:0:0:0:10 as the IPv6 address
  • 64 as the subnet prefix length
  • 2001:db8:c9d4:3d01:0:0:0:1 as the default gateway
  • 2001:db8:c9d4:3d01:0:0:0:1 as the preferred DNS server
If the device works with a static address assignment, then the WAN is likely to be configured correctly and the issue is likely to be related to a router announcement issue. If it doesn't then you will need to troubleshoot each configuration setting.

Routers which are known to work with IPv6 on FBB:
  • pfSense
  • Orbi WiFi Router
Routers which are known to not work with IPv6 on FBB:
  • FRITZ!Box 7490 and 7590 - Expects LAN prefix to be based on WAN prefix
Last edited by kesawi on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 946
These users thanked the author kesawi for the post (total 3):
Wamuran4512CH (Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:25 pm) • Wilson (Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am) • Dawn Thunder (Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:07 pm)
Rating: 60%

Dawn Thunder
Administrator
Administrator
Mood:

Post by Dawn Thunder »

If you are considering Future Broadband.....
I'm currently with Future and via TPG network fully. No AAPT showing on any tracerts this time around, unlike last time I was with them. Speeds are also less stable. I did testing last night and I would say on a 45/6 connection (FTTN long copper link) I was averaging around 30 or a little more from local servers.. about mid 20's max from the US. Modem reboot and sync to make sure. This morning I did a couple and its back to about 42 local servers which is my max. Definitely peak time congestion but not enough for most people to notice who might be streaming and just using the net for browsing. I see no "quality" any more in the Future offering compared to anyone else. In fact I would say during peak at least for me its worse them some other top tier providers.

The other issue I see but seems to be something to do with my connection rather then Future but it is odd. It started when I was with Future previous. Newsgroup downloads can sometimes be capped very low. It looks like a cap as the max seems hard wired.. very stable, just low. I reboot the modem, get a new sync and its full speed for enough time for me to finish downloading whatever it is I'm downloading. If it is a big job then the speed issue can come back after half an hour or so. The reboot improvement has me baffled as to why because if I log into a local VPN server (same state) its full speed all the time. The constriction can't be IP bases as we are on a static and a reboot fixes it for a time... So it is one of those shoulder shrug things, but definitely annoying. And also, I briefly went to Superloop and never had this issue, or any network issue at all with them so there is that as well.
word count: 339
These users thanked the author Dawn Thunder for the post:
Rain (Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:59 pm)
Rating: 20%
Careful now, I'm friends with Mirco

pokeutopia
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Mood:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by pokeutopia »

Can someone send me a code and where is the live chat on the website?
word count: 15

Rain
Site Admin
Site Admin
Mood:
Australia

Post by Rain »

pokeutopia wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:43 pm Can someone send me a code and where is the live chat on the website?
You will get a quicker reply jumping on our discord and asking there https://discord.gg/FFGUYVr9Wt
word count: 41
Everyone should have FTTP for free!

LettCat
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Registered for: 10 months
Australia

Post by LettCat »

Rain wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:11 am
pokeutopia wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:43 pm Can someone send me a code and where is the live chat on the website?
You will get a quicker reply jumping on our discord and asking there https://discord.gg/FFGUYVr9Wt
Discord is very handy. Now I understand why many forums are not very active. It's just that everyone chats in other places. How long have you been running your discord?
word count: 81

Return to “Future Broadband”