Two million homes to get access to NBN fibre-to-the-home in $3.5b plan

Current news stories regarding the NBN and Broadband.

Topic Author
boxheadmoose
GeekMascot
GeekMascot
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Australia

Two million homes to get access to NBN fibre-to-the-home in $3.5b plan

Post by boxheadmoose »

Two million Australian households will be able to demand fibre-to-the-home internet by 2023 as part of a $3.5 billion upgrade of the National Broadband Network in residential streets to begin within months.

The Morrison government says the major infrastructure investment will create as many as 25,000 jobs over the next two years as the existing fibre-to-the-node rollout is extended along streets across Australia.

The upgrade, which NBN Co will finance through borrowing from private debt markets, will give a further six million homes, or 75 per cent of premises along the fixed-line network, access to broadband speeds of up to one gigabit per second by 2023.

This includes two million eligible households that will be able to access high-speed plans by requesting an extension of the fibre network from the street to the home. A further 2.5 million households have access through upgrades to the Hybrid Fibre Coaxial network and another 1.5 million through the newer fibre-to-the-curb network.

READ MORE
word count: 175
These users thanked the author boxheadmoose for the post:
Dawn Thunder (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:40 am)
Rating: 20%

Dawn Thunder
Administrator
Administrator
Mood:

Re: Two million homes to get access to NBN fibre-to-the-home in $3.5b plan

Post by Dawn Thunder »

WOW. There is hope yet. I live in a regional area that had the Fibre ditched for FTTN. My personal connection can't sync above 50mb and my upload is really bad at about 8 (with real world upload speeds worse). I will be looking for the roll out maps that it says should be sorted by the end of this year...
word count: 62
Careful now, I'm friends with Mirco

Topic Author
boxheadmoose
GeekMascot
GeekMascot
Australia

Post by boxheadmoose »

Fingers cross! Hopefully don't pull the pin.
word count: 8

Rain
Site Admin
Site Admin
Mood:
Australia

Post by Rain »

Impressive lets see if they keep their promise
word count: 8
Everyone should have FTTP for free!

Wamuran4512CH
JuniorGeek
JuniorGeek
Location: Caboolture 4CAB POI FttN / Zürich GigETH DOCSIS 3.1
Mood:
Switzerland

Post by Wamuran4512CH »

NBN Co has revealed the first 17 towns and suburbs where it will start bringing fibre from the node into streets, putting customers in those areas among the first to know they can ask for a full fibre connection.

The 17 locations collectively comprise about 100,000 premises out of about 2 million that are in NBN Co’s sights
More:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-r ... bre-555199
word count: 72
ImageImageImageImage
The NBN, like Paul Fletcher's diet, needs more fibre - Applied liberally

shelldrake
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Registered for: 3 years 5 months
Mood:
Been thanked: 0
Australia

Post by shelldrake »

I know the details are thin at the moment, but NBN seems to have only quoted suburbs. I had a look at the suburb Osborne in SA which is on the same CSA as me but is literally miles away. I cant see the whole CSA being included? Or would it?
word count: 51

Rain
Site Admin
Site Admin
Mood:
Australia

Post by Rain »

shelldrake wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am I know the details are thin at the moment, but NBN seems to have only quoted suburbs. I had a look at the suburb Osborne in SA which is on the same CSA as me but is literally miles away. I cant see the whole CSA being included? Or would it?
You could be one of the lucky ones and they upgrade your area, i guess time will tell as they start rolling it out with an updated list of which areas are 100% included
word count: 94
Everyone should have FTTP for free!

LettCat
CluelessGeek
CluelessGeek
Registered for: 10 months
Australia

Post by LettCat »

boxheadmoose wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am Two million Australian households will be able to demand fibre-to-the-home internet by 2023 as part of a $3.5 billion upgrade of the National Broadband Network in residential streets to begin within months.

The Morrison government says the major infrastructure investment will create as many as 25,000 jobs over the next two years as the existing fibre-to-the-node rollout is extended along streets across Australia.

The upgrade, which NBN Co will finance through borrowing from private debt markets, will give a further six million homes, or 75 per cent of premises along the fixed-line network, access to broadband speeds of up to one gigabit per second by 2023.

This includes two million eligible households that will be able to access high-speed plans by requesting an extension of the fibre network from the street to the home. A further 2.5 million households have access through upgrades to the Hybrid Fibre Coaxial network and another 1.5 million through the newer fibre-to-the-curb network.

READ MORE
This news was posted in the year 2020. The year 2023 is coming to an end. Have broadband targets been met? Are statistics being kept somewhere?
word count: 210

Return to “Broadband News”